Solihull Preparatory School – Saint Martin’s Campus, Solihull
Solihull Preparatory School (3-11) is a selective co-educational HMC day school with over 1,500 pupils, it is part of Solihull School. the school is located on the Saint Martin's campus, a 20-acre site in the grounds of the historic Malvern Hall on Brueton Avenue, Solihull.
We are seeking to appoint a Head Groundsperson for our Preparatory School. Reporting to the Grounds Manager, the successful candidate will have experience in preparing and maintaining a variety of sports surfaces to a high level, will be able to manage a small grounds team at the Saint Martin’s campus and will deputise for the Grounds Manager across both of the school’s campuses.
We offer excellent working conditions together with an attractive salary and benefits package reflecting the qualifications and experience of the individual. On-site accommodation is available
The main responsibilities include:
- Effective management, work allocation, development and supervision of a small Grounds team that maintains all sporting facilities across the Saint Martin’s campus;
- Ensure optimal playing quality of sports facilities, directing and carrying out the seasonal grounds maintenance schedules;
- Prepare and maintain a variety of sports surfaces to a high level, including grass, artificial turf and hardstanding surfaces, marking out and setting up as required;
- Undertake and coordinate horticultural operations, e.g. ground preparation, planting, pruning, turfing, seeding, tree maintenance and herbaceous plants;
- To deputise for the Grounds Manager as required over both campuses;
- To participate in any PE/Sports department planning meetings, liaising closely with the teaching/coaching team regarding the use of playing surfaces for matches and training including the erection and maintenance of sports equipment;
- Clean drives and paths of debris along with litter clearance;
- Ensure that all grounds equipment are maintained to a safe and serviceable condition and workshop facilities are kept clean and tidy;
- Operating the required plant and machinery, ensuring it is compliant with the Health & Safety Policy and any relevant legislation, including maintaining records as required;
- Ensuring the safe use, storage and disposal of pesticides and other similar substances, including effective record-keeping;
- Support the Grounds Manager and Assistant Bursar (Compliance) in the completion and implementation of relevant risk assessments;
- Work as part of the wider facilities teams on both school campuses in relation to traffic management/parking as required especially during periods of inclement weather to include clearing of snow, de-icing and making safe school pathways and roads including car parks;
- Carry out minor work in order to improve the site as required by the Bursar and Assistant Bursar (Operations & Staff Welfare).
- Promoting the welfare and the safety of all members of the School Community and adherence to the School’s Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy
- Support the aims of the School
- Support all members of the School community with respect and consideration
- Set a good example to pupils in terms of appropriate dress, standards of punctuality and attendance
- Take responsibility for professional development, participating in staff training including INSET days where required, and the School’s CPD and professional development procedures
- Participate in the management of the School by attending meetings as required
- Adhere to the Health and Safety Policy, ensuring that all tasks are carried out safely and effectively with due regard to the Health and Safety of all members of the School Community, including visitors and the post-holder.
The Job Description is subject to:
- Other reasonable requests by negotiation with the Headmaster, Bursar, Grounds Manager, Head of the Prep School or Assistant Bursar (Operations & Staff Welfare)
- Annual Review
Process to apply:
Further details and information on how to apply are available from the vacancies page of our website. The closing date for the return of completed applications is 12 noon Friday 25th September 2020. If you have any queries, please contact Hayley Miles, HR Manager on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0121 703 2947.
Solihull is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment. Applicants must be willing to undergo child protection screening appropriate to the post, including checks with past employers and the Disclosure and Barring Service.
Permanent, Full time
Full year, full time (37.5 hours/week)
Friday, 25 September 2020 - 12:00pm
0121 703 2947