Games and a full sporting curriculum form an integral part of school life at Forest. The playing fields and sports facilities, over two sites, cater to multiple sporting activities throughout the year.
We are looking for a committed, experienced, and passionate full-time Grounds Manager with excellent knowledge of machinery and sports pitch maintenance. This role will play a crucial part in ensuring that the quality of our grounds and school pitches are at the highest standard. This is a fulltime role which will involve working on a Saturday.
This role reports to the Estates Manager.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the care and maintenance of all the sports pitches including liaising with Director of Sport to ensure that the surfaces are available to meet the requirements of the fixtures programme. These include all-weather tennis and sports pitches.
- Management of all staff employed in the Grounds Department. This includes effective allocation of tasks and training to staff and annual appraisals and recruitment to the team.
- Accountable for the preparation and maintenance of cricket squares throughout the season.
- Oversee the maintenance and management of all pitches using mowers and machinery (tractor mounted and pedestrian) – regular mowing, scarification, aeration, and fertilisation.
- Ensure that all materials and equipment are procured effectively for the department.
- Erection, maintenance, dismantling and storage of all sports equipment, including goals and nets as requested by staff.
- Ensure the sports facilities let out during school holidays are set up accordingly.
- Tendering and management of any additional contractors undertaking grounds services.
- Maintaining and repairing all ground’s machinery, including regular cleaning to ensure and maintain their good working order.
- Welcoming and directing schools visiting Forest to play fixtures across the site (including weekends).
- Management of pitch allocation for games & activities in conjunction with the Director of Sport.
- A pro-active work ethic that centres on pride in achieving the best possible results
- Excellent timekeeping
- Ability to work without direct supervision and under own initiative
- Verifiable experience in sports grounds maintenance and associated work.
- Experience in maintaining cricket pitches throughout the season
- Experience in mowing, aeration, fertilising and weed control.
- Ability to use a range of machinery and equipment.
- Experience in initial setting out and marking pitches.
- Experience of management and working within a team
- Knowledge and practical application of the Health & Safety at Work Act.
- Competency and experience to handle chemicals or fuels and the safe operation of various types of machinery and plant.
- Flexible approach to variable circumstances
- Experience of working in an independent school
- Relevant qualifications in horticulture
- Full Driving Licence
- NVQ Level 2 or 3 in Sports Turf Management (or equivalent)
- Level 2 Groundsman qualification (or equivalent)
- Holder of valid PA1 and PA6 certificates
Process to apply:
Please follow this link to apply by clicking “Quick Apply” and completing the application form.
Term Time: 08:00am -17:00pm. Working five days a week Monday – Saturday. Saturday will be a normal working day. Holidays: Entitled to 30 days annual leave which must be taking during Forest School Holidays.
Monday, 25 October 2021 - 12:00pm
Dependable on experience
London & East