Brunel University London is seeking to appoint a Grounds Manager to join its Grounds team, which is responsible for the delivery of grounds maintenance, campus biodiversity and delivery of our outdoor sports facilities/pitches across nearly 80 hectres. This is an exciting opportunity to lead and further develop an experienced, innovative and forward-thinking Grounds team.
You will undertake an operational leadership role to deliver on a range of strategies, whilst meeting all legislative requirements. Reporting to the Head of Grounds and Biodiversity, you will manage, support and effectively deploy and adapt resources to meet service delivery and performance standards. You will lead, motivate and direct the ‘in house’ Grounds maintenance staff and team leaders to deliver a professional, appropriate and effective grounds and landscape service.
The successful candidate must hold a NPTC Chainsaw Certificate (or equivalent), as well as PA1/PA6 Spraying Certificates. It is essential that you have a comprehensive knowledge with regards to Health and Safety and CoSHH requirements in the industry, and proven experience in sports grounds management. You should be adaptable, prioritising work and multitasking where needed and work well with a wide range of stakeholders. In addition, you should be solution focused with sound knowledge of the key challenges facing Higher Education and University environments, whilst exhibiting excellent leadership, interpersonal and communication skills and analytical thinking.
The role is full-time, primarily Monday to Friday, although some flexibility in working hours and weekend working may be required. A full driving licence is also required for this role.
- NVQ or City and Guilds in Horticulture/Sports maintenance to a minimum level 3, National cert in Hort/Sports
- Certificate of competence for ride on mowers
- Certificate of competence for Chemical spraying (PA1/PA6)
- Certificate of competence for chainsaw use (NPTC or equivalent)
- Significant recent experience in a similar post, management of staff and maintenance of grounds, sports and landscape services
- Proven experience in sports grounds management
- Proven experience in the development of grounds
- Maintenance tasks and the ability to deliver them
- Experience in the Green Flag Award process
- An up-to-date and comprehensive knowledge of Horticulture and the ability to identify common plants, trees and weeds
- An up-to-date working knowledge of sports grounds maintenance on both natural and artificial turf
- Up-to-date Knowledge of Health and Safety at work act
- Up-to-date knowledge of COSHH
- Knowledge of the key challenges facing Higher Education and University environments
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to motivate and inspire others
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- The ability to use various equipment associated with sports and grounds maintenance, including the correct use of garden equipment and machinery
- The ability to present a customer focused service and a positive attitude/response to all enquiries and requests
- The ability to be adaptable, prioritising work and multitasking where needed
- Computer literate and familiar with the Microsoft Office suite, with the ability to use video conferencing platforms.
- Creative and analytical thinking
- The ability to assist in managing a department budget
- The ability to carry out the duties and able to work effectively outdoors all season
- Availability for work outside normal hours during periods of adverse weather
- Full current UK driving licence
- Certificates of competence in Pedestrian and hand machines
- Certificate of competence in the use of tractors
Process to apply:
Please apply via this link: Grounds Manager - 10679 (2515) | Brunel University London
Full-time, permanent (Part-time & Flexible working applications will be considered)
35 hours per week
£33,797 to £40,322 per annum, plus £2,166 per annum London Weighting
London & East