The Grange School is seeking to appoint an enthusiastic and reliable Grounds Person / Tractor Operator / Caretaker to work as part of the schools Estates team. You will join a small team responsible for the efficient maintenance, safety and security of the School and our excellent sporting pitches and soft landscape facilities across our multi-site 50-acre estate. Grounds/Caretaking staff work under the direction of the Head of Estates.
The role will suit a person who has an interest in working outside generally between 1st April and 30th September on grounds maintenance duties and in a dedicated school caretaker role between 1st October and 31st March during what is often the busiest period of the school year.
We are looking for a proactive, engaging and positive candidate who takes pride in delivering a first class services and seeks to make improvements wherever possible.
We are looking for a candidate who has/can do:
- Experience of sports ground preparation and maintenance
- Provide security support including the opening up and securing of all school buildings and grounds
- An excellent work ethic
- An interest in horticulture and turf maintenance together with hands on experience – ideally from a similar environment
- Prepare school areas for daily dining including clean up after lunches, set up for school meetings, etc.
- Driving Licence; essential as some driving duties will be required
- NPTC PA1 & PA6a spraying certificates (not essential but will enhance your application)
- Provide cleaning support as necessary
- Has experience of grounds maintenance machinery – especially tractors and mowers
- The ability to work without supervision and prioritise workload
- Has the ability to implement Health & Safety requirements to ensure safe working practices to enable the smooth running of works on site
- To carry out maintenance tasks as required and to work with the Schools external contractors and suppliers
- A happy, positive attitude and great people and communication skills
Working hours will be flexible Between Monday to Friday, 7am to 9pm but additional working hours may be required including evenings, early mornings and weekends. We are a friendly and supportive organisation with great staff and great environment. For everyone's security we will complete an enhanced DBS check and reference check with previous employers and people who know you. Good spoken and written English is essential and because of our location access to transport is likely to be needed.
- Experience of sports ground preparation & maintenance.
- Ability to operate and understand electrical/mechanical systems.
- Risk Assessment experience/qualification.
- Competent at basic building repairs and maintenance.
- To be able to use small industrial, electrical and mechanical equipment.
- Experience of working in a school setting or equivalent style of setting and the specific risks at play in a school environment.
- Some ICT competence – use of emails, excel, word.
Knowledge and Skills
- Good communication skills.
- A clean driving license
- IT competency
- Knowledgeable and competent at sports line markings
- Physically robust and capable of standing for extended periods, lifting/carrying.
- Be prepared to attend training on H&S related courses
- Be able to work at heights
- Completed relevant fire, H&S, manual handling, working at heights, ladder safety and caretaker courses
- Knowledgeable about the use of chemicals
- Able to prioritise & meet deadlines
- Flexible individually and as part of a team
- Focused on customers and service delivery
- Approachable to staff
- Considers the needs of the school and the Health and Safety of all stakeholders with the highest level of priority
40 hours, Full time Permanent
Monday, 17 May 2021 - 5:00pm
Dependent on Experience
North of England